St. Peter Catholic Church  

                                                   557 Lake St.

                                                      Antioch, Illinois 60002

St. Peter History

Historical Facts – St. Peter Parish, Antioch Illinois
(compiled May 2008)
1843: Town of Antioch founded, named for the ancient Assyrian city that respected humanity and history
1897: 1st church of St. Peter
dedicated October 31, 1897
mission church of St. Patrick Wadsworth (Rosecrans)
located on Victoria St. (between 1037 & 1049)
One room church
white frame building
about 25 pews either side of a center aisle
2 pot belly stoves heated the church
had a front porch the width of the building
maybe 15 foot wide (porch) used for overflow in summer
1st Pastor – M. A. Bruton (1900-1904)
Rev. J.P. Joyce – Pastor of St. Patrick and St. Peter
(1904-1909)
Purchased a house - 341 Harden St. (from Charles Thorn)
1909: St. Peter separated from Rosecrans
St. Mary (Fox Lake) became mission church of St. Peter
1909: (February)
Rev. James E. Lynch became pastor and remained
pastor until his death on January 19, 1929 (age 65)
1912: Church bell was donated by the Venn family
so large that a bell tower had to be built and placed in the
front yard of the church
later it was transferred to the new church (Lake St.)
still hangs in our church but now electrified
*in the summer a large tent was used for Masses
- where Hamlin Accounting is located or at Channel Lake
Pavilion
Website Builder